The UAE’s extreme summer heat and lack of space can make the idea of growing plants at home unfathomable.
Words by Ferdinand Godinez
But cultivating greenery in your living space can be done with the right know-how. So where do you start? We speak with Obed Suhail from home service website, ServiceMarket.com for some gardening tips…
- To prevent plants from withering in the heat, ‘deep water’ or soak your garden by making sure that water is properly absorbed by the ground.
- Wastage of water due to evaporation can be reduced by watering early in the morning or late at night.
- Avoid planting too many exotic plants because these require more water and care compared to native varieties.
- It takes longer to grow plants from seeds and cuttings, but you can save a lot of money by doing so.
- You can make homemade fertiliser with your garden and kitchen waste. For low-maintenance composting, just leave organic waste like fallen leaves, fruit peels, grass cuttings and vegetables in a container for a few months and use it as fertiliser when it decomposes – it’s free and eco-friendly.