Connect with us

World

Washington warns the new leader of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and recalled what he did in Syria.

Published

on

Washington warns the new leader of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and recalled what he did in Syria.

(CNN) – US Secretary of Defense Jake Sullivan said on Saturday that his country expects General Alexander Dvornikov, who was appointed by Russia to oversee the invasion of Ukraine and to carry out more “brutal attacks” on civilians.

“This particular general has a resume that covers the brutality against civilians in other war zones, such as Syria, and the same can be expected in this war zone in Ukraine,” Sullivan told CNN State of the Union correspondent Jack Tapper.

“This general will be another writer on crimes and atrocities against Ukrainian citizens,” he added.

CNN previously reported that Russian President Vladimir Putin had appointed General Alexander Dvornikov, commander of Russia’s southern military district, as commander-in-chief of operations in Ukraine.

Dvornikov, 60, is Russia’s first commander in chief of military operations in Syria.

Russia provided air power to support Assad’s ground forces and transformed the Syrian civil war at great expense.

Russian warplanes backed the Assad regime and its allies as they besieged opposition-held Aleppo, bombing densely populated areas and inflicting heavy casualties on civilians.

Sullivan, however, downplayed the importance of Russia’s overall chances of success in Ukraine, saying Russia had already suffered a “strategic failure.”

“No public appointment can destroy the fact that Russia is already facing a strategic defeat in Ukraine,” Sullivan added.

“They believed that the capital, Kiev, could be occupied and other large cities captured with little resistance, and they would be welcomed with open arms,” ​​he continued.

“What we have learned in the first few weeks of this war is that Ukraine will never surrender to Russia, and it will not matter if Putin appoints any general,” he added.

See also  Russia's ships are ramping up in the Black Sea... And Biden: Kiev doesn't need F-16s
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Washington is strengthening military bases in the Philippines to protect Taiwan

Published

on

Washington is strengthening military bases in the Philippines to protect Taiwan

These facilities include shipbuilding, airstrip repair and military bases in the Philippines, ready to defend the Philippines and support the island of Taiwan, located north of the Philippines, in case of any Chinese invasion of the island.

Philippine request

The news came in a report by the Hong Kong newspaper “South China Morning Post” published on Monday.

  • The Philippines has asked the US to help build a ship and repair an airstrip at the Camilo Osias naval base in northern Cagayan province, which is accessible to Washington under the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) signed between the two countries in 2014.
  • These bases are very close to southern Taiwan and, if strengthened and developed, could be focal points if a conflict with China erupts.
  • There are plans to add a fuel storage facility and command center at Lal Lo Airport, Cagayan.
  • US Indo-Pacific Command Commander Adm. John Aquilino and Armed Forces of the Philippines Commander Romeo Browner Jr. inspected the two sites this month to discuss increasing the number of sites Americans can access under the deal.

Mutual Defense Agreement

The EDCA agreement is a joint defense agreement that allows the US military to rotate forces for long periods of time in 5 locations in the country, located across from China, separated only by the waters of the South China Sea, and allowing Washington to build and operate facilities. For American and Philippine forces.

In February, the Philippines extended an agreement to give the Americans access to four other military bases, including Camilo Osias Naval Base and Lal Lu Airport, north of the country toward southern Taiwan.

See also  Russia's ships are ramping up in the Black Sea... And Biden: Kiev doesn't need F-16s

The Philippines and the United States have agreed that the Camilo Osias base and Lal Lu airport could play an important role in the event of an armed conflict between China and Taiwan. Forces operating there would have immediate access to defend Taiwan’s southern flank and prevent Chinese incursions into the Philippine Sea through the Bashi Channel.

The Philippines has been under military pressure from China, including incidents in recent months in which Chinese ships blocked Philippine Coast Guard vessels from reaching disputed islands.

Time indicators

Since August 2022, former Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan has seen a serious crisis between Beijing and Washington, which China accuses of supporting Washington in its “separatist efforts”. It is bracing for the possibility of a US-China conflict in the region, particularly if Beijing invades Taiwan.

In light of this situation, political analyst Jasser Matar explains to Sky News Arabia the implications of recent US action in the Philippines, which is close to Taiwan and the Chinese mainland:

  • The Philippines has bases closest to Taiwan, which is the gateway to the south of the island.
  • The US wants to build up a military base at every point close to Taiwan. Supporting Ukraine in the event of a Chinese invasion, as it did in neighboring Poland.
  • Also, the intensity of the US presence and the development of military infrastructure in the Philippines contribute to the defense of Manila, which could be vulnerable to military action if a conflict breaks out over Taiwan.
  • This creates a crisis for China; The United States prepared Japan, South Korea, and the Philippines to defend Taiwan.
  • Washington, for its part, is betting that increasing the armaments of these allies and intensifying its presence on their lands will deter China from attacking Taiwan. So don’t open more than one front.
  • However, if a conflict breaks out in the South China Sea, it will be multilateral, not just between two countries.
See also  Polling stations open for new Tunisian constitutional referendum

The US Defense Secretary, who visited Manila last February, reaffirmed his country’s commitment to the Philippines in the event of any attacks, as per the Mutual Defense Treaty.

“We have indicated that the mutual defense agreement applies to armed attacks on our armed forces, public vessels or aircraft anywhere in the South China Sea or the West Philippine Sea,” he said at a news conference in Austin. With his Filipino, Carlito Galvez.

Continue Reading

World

Hamdok’s dissolved government addresses the United Nations regarding al-Burhan’s participation

Published

on

Hamdok’s dissolved government addresses the United Nations regarding al-Burhan’s participation

Abdallah Hamdok’s government, dissolved by the decision of Sudan’s military commander, said al-Burhan’s participation in the United Nations General Assembly in New York was “contrary to declared international positions against military coups”.

According to a memorandum signed by Abdullah Hamdok and several former ministers, the participation of the Sudanese military commander in the work of the United Nations General Assembly sends alarming and encouraging signals to the military revolutions that have recently spread in Africa.

October 2021 mentioned in the memorandum

Mr. United Nations. Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres:

Subject: Participation of the leader of the October 25 coup in Sudan at the 78th session of the United Nations General Assembly.

We, the undersigned members of the Government of Sudan formed in 2019, this year’s constitutional document, address you to clarify the following:

  • First, on October 25, 2021, a military component led by Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan Abdel Rahman led a military coup against the interim civilian government, leading to a complete constitutional collapse. This led to the existence of a de facto government which collapsed with the outbreak of the 15th War, a direct result of a coup against the civil government.
  • Secondly, the African Union, the UN Regional and international institutions, including the Security Council and the European Union, have rejected the military coup that undermined the interim government and halted the democratic transition process in Sudan. Coup and return of power to the people.
  • Thirdly, the invitation of the coup leader to represent Sudan in the United Nations General Assembly meetings is contrary to the above positions, and it also contributes to the continuation of the ongoing war in Sudan today. This sends very alarming and encouraging signals to the recent rise in military coups on the African continent.
  • The Glorious Revolution of December 2018 determined the Sudanese people’s stance on military coups and authoritarian regimes by recognizing the government’s full civil code and rejecting the October 25 coup, as well as defining the military’s relationship with politics. Constitution and defense of the country against external threats. To the coup leader who shares the commitment to democracy, peace and freedom as a partner in the war in Sudan today.
See also  Russia's ships are ramping up in the Black Sea... And Biden: Kiev doesn't need F-16s

Continue Reading

World

He’s been on the run for 30 years: Italian mafia boss Messina Tenaro is dead

Published

on

He’s been on the run for 30 years: Italian mafia boss Messina Tenaro is dead

Italian mafia boss Messina Denaro, who was arrested by authorities in January after 30 years on the run, has died at the age of 61, Italian media outlet Agence France-Presse reported.

Messina Tenaro was suffering from cancer at the time of his arrest. After his condition worsened in recent weeks, he was transferred to a hospital from the high-security prison in central Italy where he was initially held.

(Files) This handout photo taken and released by the Italian Carabinieri press office on January 16, 2023 shows Italy’s top wanted mafia boss Matteo Messina Tenaro in Palermo following his arrest on January 16, 2023.

According to France 24, Messina Tenaro helped launch acts of terrorism against the Italian state and was sentenced to six separate life sentences over the years, including the 1992 murder of anti-mafia judge Giovanni Falcone and his role in deadly bombings. Rome Florence and Milan in 1993.

Messina Tenaro, who led the Corleonesi clan immortalized in the Godfather films, died in prison in 2017.

Messina Tenaro was based in Trapani province in western Sicily, but by the time of his arrest on January 16, 2023, his influence had extended to the capital, Palermo.

Messina Tenaro had been on the run since 1993, and police finally arrested him when he visited a cancer treatment center in Palermo.

See also  Strategic partnership between the United Arab Emirates and Brazil
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023