The Croatian Interior Ministry announced that 12 Poles were killed and 30 others were injured when a Polish bus traveling to a Catholic site in northern Croatia veered off the road on Saturday morning.
The Ministry of Home Affairs had earlier announced on Twitter that 11 more people had died.
“Unfortunately, one person died and he was taken to the hospital in the meantime, which means that at this time 12 people have been killed in this accident,” Croatian Interior Minister Davor Pocinovic told a press conference.
About thirty people were injured, including 26 who were taken to several hospitals in Zagreb with serious injuries, according to Croatia’s director of emergency services.
Sixteen ambulance crews were dispatched to the scene, according to the official.
A Polish embassy official in Croatia said the passengers were Polish citizens.
“According to some information, they were a group on their way to Medjugorje to visit a well-known Catholic shrine in Bosnia,” the interior minister said.
Hundreds of thousands of people visit this place every year, including many Poles.
Follow our latest local and sports news and the latest political and economic developments via Google News
“Creator. Award-winning problem solver. Music evangelist. Incurable introvert.”
France.. British King’s visit postponed due to ongoing tension in Paris
Top 5: Russia Warns of Putin’s Arrest…and Reasons for America’s “Tik Tok” Fears
Famous Egyptian broadcaster of children’s programs “Abla Fadila” dies