(CNN) – US President Joe Biden on Friday welcomed the ceasefire announced by UN Special Envoy to Yemen Hans Grundberg, following the acceptance of a two-month ceasefire proposal by the parties involved in the conflict in Yemen.
Biden said in a statement: “I welcome the announcement of a long-awaited ceasefire for the people of Yemen, including the cessation of all military operations of any party within Yemen and beyond its borders, as well as the entry of fuel ships. Resumption of commercial flights to the port of Hodeidah, as well as to Sana’a and agreed locations.
“These are important steps, but they are not enough. The ceasefire must be strictly adhered to.
He continued, “After 7 years of conflict, the negotiators must work hard and urgently to reach a political solution that will lead to a lasting peaceful future for all Yemenis.”
I am grateful to the leadership of Saudi Arabia and the Sultanate of Oman in implementing this initiative ahead of the holy month of Ramadan, and I look forward to the hard work of the Yemeni government. UN-led mediation, “said the US President.
“As we continue to work for expansion and peace throughout the region, the United States will act to prevent threats to our friends and partners,” he added.
“I wish peace to the people of Yemen during the month of Ramadan and I assure them of our continued commitment to end this terrible war,” he added.
The Saudi-led coalition in Yemen announced earlier Friday that the UN special envoy to Yemen welcomed the announcement of a ceasefire.
Coalition forces spokesman Brigadier General Turki al-Maliki said, “The coalition leadership welcomes the UN ambassador’s announcement that all military operations in Yemen and Saudi Arabia will be halted in Yemen. Borders, “said the Saudi news agency SPA.
Al-Maliki added: “The coalition leadership welcomes and supports the Yemeni government’s acceptance of the ceasefire, and appreciates the efforts of the UN ambassador to announce a ceasefire in the wake of the Saudi effort to end Yemen. The announcement of the Coalition to cease was in response to a call by the Secretary-General of the Cooperation Council for the Arab Gulf.
The coalition announced on Tuesday that it would suspend military operations in Yemen from Wednesday in an effort to facilitate peace talks between Yemeni parties during the month of Ramadan.
UN Security Council calls on Yemen to suspend uranium enrichment The special envoy announced in a statement earlier on Friday that the two parties had agreed to a two-month ceasefire.
“I would like to announce that the conflicting parties have responded positively to the UN proposal for a two-month ceasefire, which will take effect on April 2 at 19:00,” Grundberg said.
UN The ambassador explained: “Both sides agreed to suspend all air, ground and naval operations within Yemen and within its borders. The ceasefire may be renewed after two months with the consent of both sides to open roads in Taiz and other governorates in Yemen.
The foreign minister of the internationally recognized government of Yemen, backed by Saudi Arabia, said he had received presidential orders to release prisoners, open Sanaa airport and allow oil tankers to pass through the port of Hodeidah.
Foreign Minister Ahmed bin Mubarak added on his Twitter page: “I have received clear instructions from President Hadi to take all necessary steps to secure the release of all prisoners, the opening of the Sanaa airport, and the release of oil tankers.” Hodeida, and the opening of the besieged dice roads to alleviate the suffering caused by the Houthis, he added, “We immediately announce the launch of the first two fuel ships through the port of Hodeidah.”
U.S. State Department spokeswoman Nate Price said in a statement on Thursday that the UN ceasefire proposal would be “the first step towards a comprehensive ceasefire and a new, more inclusive political process.”
The Saudi-based Gulf Cooperation Council held talks in Riyadh this week, but the Houthis refused to attend due to differences over location.