Dubai Summer Surprises begins this weekend, and it’s filled with ‘only the good type of surprises.’ Paying less for stuff, tailored entertainment and **jazz hands** alluring mystery.
For 22 editions, the Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment (DFRE)-organised festival has satisfied our shopping needs by bringing bargains to the city’s shops, attractions, hotels and tons of family entertainment – and usually a pretty spectacular brace of fireworks displays too!
And it all kicks off on the 21st June, with events planned right up until 3rd August. And for a taste of what’s coming up – wrap your faces round this:
- The figs – 700 brands across more than 3,500 outlets. With 25 to 75 per cent off on selected items from a variety of stores.
- Majid Al Futtaim (MAF) malls kick things off with a 12 hour mega sale starting at midday on 21 June. **in Jigsaw voice** You’ll have to be quick, the clock is ticking Dubai… Participating malls include Mall of the Emirates, City Centre Mirdif, City Centre Deira, City Centre Me’aisem, City Centre Al Barsha and City Centre Al Shindagha.
- “Deal of the Day” is back. Between 22nd June and 31st July every day of the week, one outlet in one specific location throughout the festival – will have one item at a ludicrously-priced discount. Announcements made @DSSsocial – 24 hours in advance.
- ABBA REUNION will take on ‘their Waterloo’ with two shows at the QE2’s theatre on the 26th-27th June.
- Dubai Sports World will be keeping us as fit as our will power allows throughout the summer.
- There’s live comedy thanks to The Laughter Factory and Big Fish Comedy.
- And Theatre, with the Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) crafted – A Behanding in Spokane – hitting the stage at The Junction in Alserkal Avenue (27th june).
- Thai street food connoisseurs, Mango Tree presents to you a deal that is woah. Just woah. ‘Woah Wednesdays’ in fact – where guests can try unlimited dishes served from 7pm to 9pm for AED 99 per person.
- BiCE Mare, Downtown bistro with Burj Khalifa views is giving away free bottles of Italian bubbles to diners. Head down as a foursome between 12pm and 4pm, and as long as everyone in the party orders a minimum of one starter and one main – you get to pop the cork on one free bottle of sparkling Italian grape.
- Every Saturday and Sunday, from 12pm to 11pm, diners can stuff an entire 1/2 kg of beef back ribs and fries into their face for AED 95 as part of Mama Zonia‘s ‘Games of Bones’ deal.
- Get a two-course menu for AED 99 or three-course menu for AED 149 at The Scene by Simon Rimmer, on Fridays. It’s legit Brit gastronomy with OMG Marina views.
For the kids
- Good news kids, with DSS our favourite mellow yellow fella returns – Modhesh World is back with an indoor playground for everyone to enjoy. Deal of the Day makes a comeback too, so watch out for those one brand, one location flash sales. Live concerts and performances are promised too, as well as”life-changing prizes.” We can’t wait!
- Dubai Festival City (DFC), is bringing a host of famous characters from PJ Masks including Catboy (and no, he’s not related to Dubai 92’s dad disc jockey of the same name – we asked), Gekko, Owlette, and Luna Girl (21st June-12th July) to a stage at the DFC Mall there. They’ll be followed by The Angry Birds (13th July-3rd August) who will hopefully be prevented from causing serious damage to the structural integrity of the property. They’ve got form.
- The Justice League (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, The Flash and possibly Judge Judy depending on scheduling clashes) will be appearing at City Centre Deira between 27th June-6th July. Any villains contemplating nefarious deeds are advised to steer clear over that period.
Ahmed Al Khaja, CEO of DFRE, says: “There is always great anticipation and excitement among the city’s residents and visitors for Dubai Summer Surprises, so we are very pleased to reveal this edition’s dates. As one of the most popular events of the Retail Calendar, the annual summer festival attracts visitors from all over the world, offering six-week of sales, chances to win and world-class entertainment.”
Make some room in your wardrobe and start saving now!
21st June-3rd August at locations around Dubai. We’ll keep you updated as the full calendar is revealed. You can also check out www.dubaisummersurprises.com